The Egyptologist William John Bankes, who remained there in a few days to tour much of the city, expected to make some sketches. The results of his trip was published the same year he left the book of Burckhardt, but the sketches remained unpublished until the late twentieth century.
Are many documents, drawings and engravings of the French archaeologist Leon de Laborde and Adolphe Louis Mauritius Linant of Bellefonds made during his mission in 1828 and compiled in the book Voyage de l’Arabie Petree of the year 1830, which lays the foundation myth of the Nabataean and attract the attention of the western world towards the ruins of Petra. The two partners and the sixteen persons accompanying camped near the ruins, despite the fear of the plague that struck the nearby village of Wadi Moussa. His discoveries, made during six days of work, served to make the first map of the Christian town.
Deir facade is 45 m in height.
Followed by several archeological missions, including those of geographers Gotthilf Heinrich von Schubert and Jules Bertoua in 837, a specialist in biblical studies Edward Robinson, the asiriologa Austen Henry Layard in 1840 and the archaeologist Albert Honore Theodoric Luynesen 1864. Early studies focused on the graves to be more spectacular than other remains. Local people were hostile to the investigation and did not allow a real organization of the excavations.
In 1897, the Order of the Dominicans of the Ecole Biblique et arch ologique fran aise in Jerusalem made an inventory of the monuments of Petra.
In 1907, the specialist in the Arabic world Alois Musil published his work in Arabia petraea Cartografico the results of one of the first scientific expeditions that are committed to make an inventory of all sites on the old age visible at that time. In 1920, measurements by the antique Rudolf Ernst Bra nnow and Alfred von Domaszewski helped develop the first accurate map of Petra. It was not until 1924 when the real scientific excavation.
The investigations were not confined to the site of Petra. Charles Montagu Doughty discovered some distance Nabataean city, Hegra.
The first archaeological excavations took place in 1929. Followed by others in 1935, 1937 and 1954. In 1958, the British School of Archeology began digging at the center of town. Since then, archaeologists have been relieved at the site.
Since 1973, the Department of Old Age of Jordan began a collaboration with several American universities for the conduct of excavations. Archaeologists Jordanian, French, Swiss and U.S. have made important discoveries during the last great campaign of excavations, which lasted from 1993 to 2002. In 1998 a large complex of ponds was discovered near the Great Temple. In 2000, discovered a rich Nabataean villa outside the SIQ and 2003 were found tombs carved into the rock below the Khazneh.
The relief of the city makes it hard to access some areas, and erosion have caused extensive damage, the archaeologists asked a climber to climb a wall to get a grave, but not to find more bones, the tomb had been looted .
In a small platform for one of the cliffs was found a place for religious ceremonies, which were probably animal sacrifices whose blood dripping on the wall of the cliff.
Under the direction of the Authority Antigen ages Jordan, the U.S. scientists at Brown University in Providence discovered the ruins of the main temple (Qasr al-Bint) in the city center as well as near the door of Temenos. So far, only one per cent of the city of Petra has been the subject of archaeological excavations.
In 2000, the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) continued excavations at Qasr al-Bint primarily funded by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
|The Last Days of the Incas by Kim MacQuarrie (Hardcover – May 29, 2007)||Machu Picchu: Unveiling the Mystery of the Incas by Richard L. Burger and Lucy C. Salazar (Hardcover – Jan 1, 2004)||Machu Picchu: A Civil Engineering Marvel by Kenneth R. Wright, Alfredo Valencia Zegarra, Ruth M. Wright, and Gordon, Ph.D. Mcewan (Paperback – Nov 2000)|