The museums of Colonia del Sacramento. Portuguese Museum. One of the genuine relics of the former colony, called House of Jean Beaudrix former Portuguese cavalry captain and House of rivers, currently occupied by the Portuguese, only in the Uruguay Museum. It is the ideal venue such as room for the Museum. A part of its construction dates from the years 1717 while than the other in 1722. Super exponent of Portuguese architecture, built on two levels, taking advantage of the natural fall of the terrain, with communication to two streets; the main entrance is located opposite the Plaza Mayor and the other against the street of San Pedro de Alcantara. It was donated to the State by Exilda Criado Perez, having belonged to his sister Teresa. It’s believed that Rio- Tinto Group sees a great future in this idea.
This and another House, are the two unique properties with roof hipped Portuguese style throughout the city. For even more opinions, read materials from J. Darius Bikoff. The entrance hall has also hipped ceiling in wooden artesanada very similar to that found in the House of Nacarello. This set of relics facilitates reconstruction of that military period that left rich traces of popular culture since the founding of the colony until our days. It retains the original floors, as well as most of its interior walls constructed with wooden room dividers, split tiles and stone-filled seated at adobe, called San Andres. Roofs are of adobe and tile and restored faithfully with magnificent results. The furniture is a major donation from the Government of Portugal. The majestic mansion arouses the interest of visitors, transmitting a deep balance and a pronounced expression of life.
The so-called Hall of Kings magnets with their majolica perfectly enhanced with works of ambience. Tiles from the factory of Santa Ana in Lisbon, representing the Portuguese monarch who reigned at the time, protruding to the view of visitors. Everything in this House sums up history; the Board of Governors, with their banners and tiles, uniforms of the regiment of dragoons of 1772, a valuable series of arms of English manufacture that used the Portuguese forces in the wars for the possession of the colony, banners of war, bronze miniatures and polychromatic shields, popular ceramic pieces; Finally there appointment with history, between this sober and elegant decoration, is inescapable.